Start a new topic
Implemented

[Done] Todo - Calendar View

The general idea with a calendar view is to add an alternate view inside the Todo and Todo Pro apps so you can more visually see your tasks laid out on a calendar.

Note: We do not intend to provide calendar "integration" at this point because the calendars in iOS and Mac no longer display tasks, only events. We think that showing tasks as calendar events/appointments is a bit of a stretch and would be confusing to too many people.

We've considered showing task counts per day on a calendar (for small screens), color the days more dark when there are more tasks, showing a calendar in bar graph format with # of tasks on a day, etc. We don't want to go into too much detail here, because we'd like to hear from you.

What are your thoughts on this and what about this would you find helpful? Please let us know in the comments.

Reminder: If this proposed feature is important to you, make sure to "like" this article so your vote will count.

10 people like this idea

Would like to see existing iCal events/appointments listed (dithered possibly) so ToDo's can be scheduled around those without app switching.

2 people like this

it is not possible to add tasks to a device's built-in calendar (iOS/Mac). We think that showing tasks as calendar events/appointments is a bit of a stretch and would be confusing to too many people.

It is obvious that showing tasks in Google Calendar or ICAL is not so hard for other apps , why is it not manageable for Appigo.  I think this is a big mistake.  When a customer calls me, I need to see a calendar view of what is going on.   In order to supply customers with manageable dates, and times, and deadlines,  Seeing all the events, on all of my devices,  allows me to manage my time and future projects with less stress.

2 people like this
I agree with Jeannine. It's important to manage only one calendar

1 person likes this

I think it is a fault of ToDO to not be able to sync with iCAL and iOS/MACs calendar.  It has been a major feature of Daytimer's and other planners to show a calendar.  Appigo needs to get with the scene and show calendars.

These are all of the former comments that were posted on this, I'm just copying them over from the old site:

Mark Holbrook

I have a separate list labeled "Calendar" in order to have all my GTD content in one app. I would like the option to view a list with a month, week, daily, or list view. I would also like an end time option added for the Calendar list. My Calendar list is workable without these options, but they would be helpful. Another way to do it would be to add a Calendar Task Type, so that only those tasks would be displayed in a monthly/weekly/daily/list calendar view. I think that in order to be GTD-compliant, the calendar view needs to be separate from the task view (unless "All" is selected) as a cue that calendar items have hard edges - they can only be done on that day/time. Thanks!

January 08, 2013 21:38

carmelo

Me too! Be fast to add this integration!!

January 13, 2013 04:38

Lukas Rohal

Please, add this - it would be great!

January 15, 2013 03:24

George Keenan

Why would a simple calendar view be confusing? I have always wanted a calendar view in your otherwise very helpful application :-)

January 15, 2013 10:37

Paul Brussaard

This is a hot topic for me. This calendar idea is really necesarily!

January 19, 2013 04:30

Rafael

This is something I have always felt is missing (and needed) in this app...

January 19, 2013 19:19

Game_plan

I think this is the biggest feature lacking in Todo.  People respond to visual info better than written info.  Example, if there are some deadlines approaching in the next week or two, a calendar view could allow users to visualize the remaining time/days, and allow them to better plan their remaining workload to meet the deadline.

Since Todo already uses the calendar view to select due date (underutilized calendar), this might be an easy feature to add.  Currently I have to use my planner notebook to use a calendar.

Plus, if Todo is based on GTD philosophy, how can the calender be ignored..?

January 20, 2013 08:16

Wes Arnold

I would like to completely remove the need to have another calendar...so I think this would be a great option. I know, integrating the calendar in. 2-way fashion would be confusing, but if you could come up with a way to import the events of the calendar (you would have to add the end time for tasks for this...which I would LOVE) 1-way into todo, that would be awesome. This way, people could receive events and meetings from co workers who maybe use outlook for everything, and easily have it go into todo automatically.

January 20, 2013 16:47

thomas.greuter

Mir ist wichtig, Outlook 2012 Todo List mit Todopro zu synchronisieren, wenn immer möglich überKabel oder Wifi. ( Clouds und alle virtiellen Serber sind zu wenig sicher.

January 21, 2013 10:30

Eric Bruck

I would like a single calendar with my appointments (pull in from iCal) with my tasks along side it.  I agree with another commenter that one calendar is optimally efficient - anything else is distracting and confusing.  Better yet, allow for a task to be "dragged and dropped" from the sidebar into a timeslot on the calendar!  If the internal TODO PRO calendar mirrors my iCAL (and Exchange) calendar, it's the only one I will use.

January 21, 2013 18:04

thomas.greuter

Mir IST Wichtig, Outlook 2012 Todo List mit Todopro zu synchronisieren, WENN Immer Möglich überKabel oder Wifi. (Clouds und alle virtiellen Serber Sind zu wenig sicher

January 23, 2013 18:25

Ros Riha

I would rather have tasks integrated into a calendar, as Pocket Informant offers

January 24, 2013 13:40

Kevin Tillman

If Appigo already has a CalDav server for siri, how difficult would it be to have a CalDav server that would sync with iCal or any other app that can sync to that service. It is true that Todo/Todo Pro can't save directly to the data on the device, but it can certainly sync just as it does for tasks now, right?

January 26, 2013 15:02

Carl Gulledge

-1  - I don't appreciate using two calendars.  I have to use my main calendar anyway so I would appreciate, as I have requested for several years, that Appigo  allow me to publish my tasks as an ICS subscription.    This is the ONLY reason I continue to use toodledo as my backend service and is much more useful to me than Siri or Shared Tasks.   I really value seeing my Dated TODO tasks on a separate colored calendar overlay in my main calendar.  ICS works with iOS,  iCal, GoogleCal, etc.  Such an easy way to get simple calendar integration. 

January 28, 2013 22:02

Gavin Hinchley

Well, calendar view would be nice but iOS Calendar Integration would be even better.  I don't want to navigate between different calendars to know when I have scheduled work items, I'd like to see them all in one spot.  Plus, it's possible to isolate all Todo events under a specific iOS Calendar label that can be selected or unselected to avoid confusion if necessary.

It's possible to configure Google Calendar integration with iOS Calendar using CalDAV.  Couldn't Todo Pro do something similar to Google?

January 30, 2013 16:44

Fbinder

I don't like it because it is not practical.

January 31, 2013 09:30

Medford

Any incorporation of ToDo into Evernote would be of great improvement. I use Evernote to run our Company and Personal Life... Thanks for the consideration...

January 31, 2013 14:26

Steven Adelman

Calendar integration with tasks works very well. I suggest you check out the app Agenda Calendar and the task app 2Do. Tasks put in 2Do integrate with Agenda and so you only have to open Agenda and see your appointments and tasks together.  The layout is elegant and simple. I love Todo but switched to this because I now only have to open one app to see everything.  Todo would do well to look at something like this.

February 03, 2013 05:57

Bruce Lowden

I agree with Gavin Hinchley.  Right now I use Google calendar.  The calendar syncs with my iPhone directly.  If ToDo could write tasks or reminders to Google calendar it would sync to my iCal calendar automatically.

February 18, 2013 14:56

Ros Riha

I agree with Gavin and Medford Gavin: There are plenty of calendar apps, allowing to see Tasks along side with appointments (Calvetica,Pocket Informant, Agendus...and plenty of others) it does not matter much which way, but ToDo Tasks simply have to be synchronizable either with googletasks or iOS reminders...once they are accessible, it is possible to Filter etc... Medford: as ToDo does not Support file Attachments to Tasks, it is necessary to allow link with evernote or other service, which does. Personally, I would vote for evernote, as it already allows creating notes (once integrated, they will become Tasks) from webpages, scans, photos, audioclips

February 18, 2013 15:33

Al

I would also like an ICS subscription feature. Most GTD apps are implementing this now, and it is a very good way to get importanttasks into the calendar. Sync isn´t really needed, I want to handle all my tasks in Todo Pro. (As soon as Android version is up and running)

But I want to be able to just take a glance at my calendar, and see which days are full of tasks with a due date. Makes it very easy to see which days I should stop adding new meetings/appointments..

February 22, 2013 03:35

Doug Westby-Gibson

I would like to open a calendar view in ToDo, see my ical events and be able to drag and drop tasks that I plan to work on into the calendar view -- placing a task on the calendar would simply mean that I plan on working on the task, not that the due date has changed.  That would be most helpful in planning my day.  

February 23, 2013 12:15

Jose R. Baerga

Would love this feature. Specially if it integrates with Google calendar. But it would be nice for it to allow me to choose what tasks / events I want to sync with the G-calendar. So not all created task requires the date and or time setup. Thanks!

March 11, 2013 07:27

Danny van der Schaaff

@Jose, think you missed the subject: "...(Not Calendar Integration).

I would love to see a timeline, i.e. Calendar View of the ToDo's, specially if we have a "Start Date" in place as well.

March 11, 2013 07:31

Nils Hulth

I can not see how I would use it. As someone else said - there is already a calendar in iOS / Windows / Mac OS X. One more is one too many.

March 16, 2013 15:52

Jacklyn Fitzgerald

Many of the commenter's are asking for calendar integration, but I don't think integration is a priority personally. I would probably use integration if it were available but, I am much more concerned with a calendar view. I believe that a calendar view is a major feature missing from this app. For those with hundreds of todos such as myself it is crucial to see how those tasks are spread out over time. Too much time is wasted re-scheduling tasks that have not been completed on their original due date simply because I couldn't see that the day was overbooked. I personally feel that the option to choose between daily, weekly, and monthly dividers in the list view would be the simplest and most natural way to incorporate this feature. I do not think a traditional "calendar" with numbers of tasks on each day or incomplete lists that have "..." To show more entries that wouldn't fit on the screen would be helpful at all. This would just create more frustration at trying to see the big picture in a way that will never fit on a mobile screen. Maybe this is a feature to add to todo for Mac but definitely not the mobile apps. "Today" "tomorrow" and "the next three days" dividers already work very well and adding the option to see different sorting (I.e. daily, weekly, monthly) to this would be a perfect solution that is suited for the mobile UI and is actually useful! Also, please consider adding to your calendar filter feature to tap multiple days (I.e 3/10, 3/14, 3/31) and have them divided by date as well. For instance, if I want to see my next week at a glance, I could tap all seven days and they would appear with dividers by day. Or if I wanted to spread a home project out over three weekends, I could tap just the fri/sat/sun of those weekends and have those days in view, divided by day. For this feature it would be helpful to see all tasks that are not on the selected days remaining below so they can be moved into or out of the selected days with ease. With these two changes to the UI I believe todo would gain a whole new dimension as a GTD tool. Thanks for your time, Jacklyn

March 18, 2013 11:28

Alexander

Calendar view is the only thing missing in todo, I just can't pick up any date to see what's planned, or what was planned this day! And sometimes when I need to use calendar, I have to open ios calendar app, it's too long closing todo, finding ios app then again opening todo, typing a password and this can continue for several times while planning! can't wait for you to add calendar view!

March 21, 2013 02:19

Alexander

Just forgot, missing the calendar view is the only thing why I don't submit ToDo Pro and so can't use my computer with it.

March 21, 2013 02:24

Danny Gonzales

how did I miss this proposed suggestion?  and can my vote count for 10,000 other users that missed this as well?  Calendar view (with the ability to add items directly to the calendar view) would be extremely, insanely, remarkably, useful !  

March 21, 2013 10:20

Danny Gonzales

... just read most of the critical remarks here regarding calendar integration vs a 2nd calendar. ....  1st I think that everyone wants it in "a calendar" (define that how you will, and if the current state of "ToDo" is that iOS will not feasibly permit the integration of tasks into calendar event, then the logical path is to create a new calendar within ToDo that is not iCal.      YES there will be a few unhappy customers initially (myself included) that will not appreciate having to swap between calendars.  Especially considering that Outlook Integration happens between my work place & iCal so I can't just stop using it even if I wanted to.

Eventually the better calendar will take precedence in a persons daily use, and if the day ever comes that Apple changes it's logic then cross that bridge when it comes.

March 21, 2013 10:31

Charles

I would really appreciate a way to see all of my scheduled tasks in a calendar view. Seeing it internally in To Do would be OK, but being able to export the scheduled tasks to one of my existing calendars would be ideal. I use my iPad all day, and have multiple Google calendars overlaying my native iPad calendar. It would be VERY useful if I could sync up my To Do tasks with one of those Google calendars. I juggle a lot of multi-part tasks with dated checklists and being able to see all of the components as they fall in a single timeline would really complete this app.

March 25, 2013 12:42

Carl Gulledge

Charles you can do what you want today but you have to use Toodledo as your back end service. They offer an ICS subscription of all your dated (scheduled) TODO tasks. Import the ICS into iOS Cal, iCal, Google Cal, Outlook, etc as an overlay calendar of any color you choose. It is read-only so you can't modify or move tasks in your calendar but they overlay nicely with your other appointments. You can setup ICS so that completed tasks are automatically removed. I so value this calendar subscription ability that I just renewed with Toodledo for another year.

March 25, 2013 13:30

Peter Sheffield

My company uses Google Apps, so integrating with Google Calendar would be good too.

March 30, 2013 01:12

Bkrosney

A Calendar Integration would be marvelous, BUT just having a Calendar VIEW with the tasks showing would be MORE than helpful. Would like to see a Daily, Weekly, and Monthly options for views; just like Outlook Calendar.

April 20, 2013 18:30

Catherine Henry

iOS calendar integration would be ideal. Calendar view would be nice but not a high priority if it can't be integrated with the actual calendar. I haven't used Google Calendar much (can't figure out how to do it without duplicating most of the stuff in iCal) but if ToDo were integrated with Google Calendar, I might give that a try again.

April 23, 2013 05:00

Ros Riha

iOS calendar integration would be awesome - if it was possible to be able to display ToDo calendar along with other calendars in other apps (Calvetica, Calendar+, Agendus...) the better.

While at it, why not to add the parameter "duration" to a task - that way the calendar could show timeframe, alloted to a task.

April 23, 2013 05:41

Jonathan

I agree that Task and Cal should never have automated integration - If OS X Cal integration becomes possible via say CalDav - one could tick a specific task to produce a Cal entry - I strongly believe that To Do's and Cals have separate functions (oil and water) and should not be mixed, its an over complication.

April 29, 2013 03:20

Ros Riha

Once there is an option to show/hide specific calendar, then it would be up to each user, whether he wants to see task events together with apointments - so I would vote for automated integration...I suppose it will not present that much work to allow it. On the other hand, the original idea is slightly different and looks interesting too. ToDos take some time, so at the end of the day they present specific amount of time to be spent on them - so in order to plan my day, I would like to see them in the calendar view either way...

April 29, 2013 03:28

Maurizio Martini

Great! Calendar is a really good enhancement! For me just the ability to see the amount of items for each day in a calendar view, and the ability to click (or tap in smartphone app) on the day to view the list of items should be good!

Please!!! Work on this feature!!

May 19, 2013 06:40

Eric Bruck

if you create a calendar withinToDo Pro to show my to do's on the day they are due, I can look at them side by side with my Outlook calendar an allot the appropriate time between appointments - or move them to a different date.This would be a satisfactory "work-around" for me. Eric Bruck

May 19, 2013 11:28

Alexandre Gauvin

This is a great feature to ad. For those who dont belive so, it's only cause you havent tried it. I use it all the time to check how much job I have upcomming in the next days, is simple to have these infos at a glance

May 28, 2013 09:59

Berkeley Stephen

The visual perspective that a calendar view presents would be very helpful.  Additionally, I agree with Appigo statement "it is not possible to add tasks to a device's built-in calendar (iOS/Mac). We think that showing tasks as calendar events/appointments is a bit of a stretch and would be confusing to too many people."  A  great alternative that Things by Cultured Code employs, is the ability to "pull"  scheduled iCal appointments/events into your to do list (inbox). They do it with their repeating todo feature.   This is tremendously useful because it keeps you cognizant of appointments and enables you to  incorporate them as you plan / schedule your to do's.

June 03, 2013 11:53

Appigo Support 

Appigo

@Berkeley Stephen, thanks for the extra info & advice about this.

June 05, 2013 09:59

Larry Busacca

Some form of calendar view/ visual representation of tasks would be a great addition and very welcome addition. If it is possible to sync with iCal or other similar programs than thats a bonus too me. 

June 10, 2013 16:58

Peter Byebierggaard

As mentioned the graphical representation would facilitate the application in particular when discussing schedules and GTDs with others

June 13, 2013 22:45

Michael J. Sonntag

I agree with the comments above - that calendar integration is really key.  Best would be if the todos could sync to CalDAV - but short of that, it'd be great if the app could support incoming CalDAV calendars, just to display our other calendars along with todos.  Seeing todos in a calendar (and being able to schedule them in the calendar) is good - but it's only truly useful if we can see the todos along with our events, so we can see what else we have planned for a day (the complete picture!) - without having to switch back and forth between apps.

June 16, 2013 17:53

Norman Cates

I know this isn't about Calendar integration, but it would actually be really helpful to be able to sync to a Google calendar. I connect my iPhone to Google calendar, so all my stuff is on Google anyway. (Prays that Google never goes down!) So by using that sync-to-google path, it seems that you avoid all the problems with internal calendar apps not allowing access.... If I wanted, I could create a specific ToDo google calendar for myself that all the ToDo tasks sync to. And then on my phone I could just hide that calendar if it was all a bit much...

June 18, 2013 16:54

Peter Sheffield

I support a calendar view, this very useful and can give a good overview to task density. Further I presume that it will be quicker to implement?

June 25, 2013 09:49

Hank Becker

One-way integration is Badly Needed--that is,showing calendar events in ToDo. In regular list view, just like ToDos that have a specific time.

June 28, 2013 07:12

Elkniwcire

Absolutely! A calendar or weekly agenda view would be awesome. Omnifocus forecast view does a great job of this but it does a terribly job of displaying projects or subtasks within that view. A similar forecast view that dispays tasks as well as Todo Pro would be awesome.

July 02, 2013 00:20

Danny Gonzales

@ Support:  To me it's not a question whether to implement this or not (where there's a will there's a way).  The question is (from a business perspective), how much revenue & added customers will you gain by adding the feature vs how much it costs to implement & support.  That's all it is.  

And with the dozens of other apps able to pull off some sort of Calendar function as "an option to use" to the customer... I think the answer is a no brainer... not a requirement to use.  So there is no need for any existing ToDo user to be "against" the idea.  Don't like the feature? don't use it.

In my spare time (and because I was tired of waiting for you guys to roll this feature out) , I was able to arduously recreate a nearly full blown integrated "ToDo" with a working visual calendar, that syncs on the backend with the actual ToDo app..... using visual basic in MS excel...... (not an easy thing to do & in the windows environment bleh!).....

I'm not trying to dig at Appigo because I don't know the realities & complexities of your day to day business environment ....   just hope to see some sort of calendar soon.

July 02, 2013 00:43

Danny Gonzales

.... PS .. no I'm not interested in sharing/selling my code with anyone ... I have other commitments 

July 02, 2013 00:51

T Glyn Finley

As an IPhone user, I would prefer better integration with the notifications center in IOS.  Looking at the best and worst features of a number of task/project management apps I have tried, this is an area where ToDo Pro is lacking a bit for me.  It is nice to go to the notification center each morning and to see calendar appointments and to do items (in agenda format) on the same page.  It is a comprehensive view of the day ahead.

July 09, 2013 15:44

Nathaniel Scott

This sounds good, but some calendar integration would be good too. Being able to see calendar in same view (Omnifocus for IOS has this) helps to know what, how much, and when things can be scheduled in a day. Even something that could just show free/busy time.

July 11, 2013 15:18

Ryan Hargrave

I would like a calendar view as well. With a simple "view my other calendar events" much how omni focus does really well. Thanks!

July 15, 2013 00:06

Eric Baker

Guys, this request has garnered more votes than the other issues that you have finished with, or the two that are under consideration.  I encourage you to at minimum develop a "calendar overview" for tasks so we can get started. It has been at least 6 months now, and still nothing on this?  Commit to it and let's get it done.

July 15, 2013 17:05

James Sutherland

Simply put, the lack of calendar view is why I left todo for Omnifocus. Having all the days tasks as well as appointments on one screen makes planning your day easy. That being said, todo has too many nice features that Omnifocus just can't touch. (ie editing or scheduling multiple items at once) If todo incorporates a calendar view, I'll be back for sure! (The only thing left then to make it perfect would be the ability to take and attach photos to items, and a review mode ;) )

July 18, 2013 07:07

Rick

I am probably the only non-Mac user here (LoL) but the calendar view will allow me to better visualize my week without having to setup task appointments in my Outlook calendar. 

August 13, 2013 07:58

Dave Burns

-1. I think this is the wrong direction. I don't want a new calendar view because I already have a calendar app. The single biggest feature request I have for ToDo is to offer ICS calendar subscriptions so I can overlay my dated to-do tasks on my existing calendar app. This would be huge. I am completely fine with this being a read-only feed into my calendar and having to go to the ToDo app to add/modify tasks.

September 03, 2013 10:41

Jeff Jensen

I agree with Dave.  For me, serving ToDo Pro info to Google calendar is the best implementation.  The apps already nicely list tasks with an agenda view.  Sticking them in boxes laid out like a traditional calendar is nice but doesn't add great new functionality.

September 03, 2013 10:45

Frank Kinser

Absolutely!  This is a feature I've desired for some time.  Please do.

September 06, 2013 06:50

Ros Riha

CalDAV - as there already is Siri integration, why not to allow ToDo tasks to be visible via the same route: ToDoPro-CalDAV-Reminders?

There already is plenty of Calendar apps, allowing tasks/Reminders to be displayed together with appointments, so everyone can make his choice

...and it should not take that long to implement - even if tasks were displayed in read-only mode...

September 13, 2013 04:23

Scott Ciliberti

I just downloaded Todo Cloud and it's the first thing that's disappointing.  I'm planning a wedding and can't expect several different vendors to download and install Todo.  I need a way to print out my tasks in a calendar format and share it with them so they can agree to dates or suggest changes.  I may just skip using the app altogether and print out a calendar using a Word Template or create a shared calendar with Google. 

September 21, 2013 22:35

Carl Gulledge

"Note: We do not intend to provide calendar "integration" at this point because it is not possible to add tasks to a device's built-in calendar (iOS/Mac). We think that showing tasks as calendar events/appointments is a bit of a stretch and would be confusing to too many people."

I don't agree with the above statement or conclusion.  I use an ics calendar today published by the Toodledo service synchronized with my TODO apps.  That simple subscribed calendar (ics) overlays nicely on the standard iOS and OSX calendars on both the iPhone and the Mac.   I have assigned this calendar a unique color so all my TODO tasks are easy to spot and I can flip the overlay (visibility) on/off easily.  The only thing I can't do is is delete or make changes - but that is what I have the TODO apps for!   The convenience of seeing my daily calendar with my tasks due that day on the same view is wonderful and clean.  I am unclear on why the premise for this proposed feature excludes integration and asserts that, "combining todo tasks on the same view as appointments would be confusing."  I would vote for Read-Only integration over yet another calendar that needs to referenced. 

September 22, 2013 15:33

Folke

I for one am not really interested in any calendaring functionality in a task management app. I avoid using dates unnecessarily, and even for those tasks that do have an objective due date, I have minimal use for a blob in my calendar visualizing the last possible day to get it done (I normally only wait that long if the task is so unimportant that I almost do not need to see it at all ;-).

The only calendar related feature that I have an interest in would be of the "integration"/"import" type (but I can manage this manually):

I make sure that I can see in my task app (whether automatically or manually)

1) Today's appointments - imported from several different calendars, many of which are shared "common property". This is because I cannot bear flicking between task list and calendar all day long

2) Future appointments that are part of projects - convenient to see in both places.

September 26, 2013 15:20

Folke

I might add:

If you do in fact implement calendar visualization of tasks, then to make it truly useful there should be a task setting which defines whether this particular task should or should not be mapped to the calendar. It should be possible to have OFF as the default for this setting, and then you could set it to ON manually for those tasks that are appointments (or otherwise totally fixed in time).

The problem otherwise, for people like me who mainly use the calendar in the traditional way - as a busy/not-busy appointment booking tool and as an appointment journal - that if you start cluttering it up with non-appointment info you cannot see the appointments anymore. Start dates and due dates, for me, are usually equivalent to "earliest possible date" and "latest possible date". These I do not want to clutter up my appointment calendar, so I would need to keep that whole visualization thing switched off for the most part, and appointments I would typically enter straight into my normal calendar(s), possibly a shared one, just as before.

But if I did enter appointments via Todo, say appointments belonging in a Todo project (cf 2 in the post above), then I would definitely want to see them on my calendar, but not buried with all the earliest/latest dates. I would need to keep the "Todo channel" turned on such that I could see the appointments, but would want the majority of tasks to be "not mapped to calendar" by default. (cf 2 in the post above.)

Or you could use two feeds for visualization, one default and one "special", instead of having an OFF and ON setting.

And another thing: For true appointments (if the ON or "Special" setting is used, or if you ever decide to do "import sync" from existing shared calendars etc) it is important that you do not delete calendar items just because the user has checked them off or trashed them in his/her Todo app. Those calendar entries usually need to be kept as a journal even after the event (and for the benefit of other people who use the same shared calendar and still want to see the upcoming event even if you yourself have decided not to attend and therefore have trashed it in your Todo).

September 27, 2013 02:30

Rob Wheatley

I don't see why you can't make tasks with due dates available via CalDav. If there is no due time, then make it an all day event. If there is a due time, set an even to that time. Default to a certain duration if there is not one set. This is how Toodledo does it.

TBH, after setting up CalDav for Siri, I assumed I could use the same calendar to see all events. Not being able to do that is how I got to this page in the first place.

September 27, 2013 10:46

"Note: We do not intend to provide calendar "integration" at this point because it is not possible to add tasks to a device's built-in calendar (iOS/Mac)".

This app has calendar integration:

<link removed>

@Cylinda

I edited out the actual link.  The app you originally referred to does exactly what we stated we don't want to do.  It converts tasks to all day events and puts them in the calendar.  I've re-worded our original statement.  Hopefully it better states our feelings.  It now states:

"Note: We do not intend to provide calendar "integration" at this point because the calendars in iOS and Mac no longer display tasks, only events. We think that showing tasks as calendar events/appointments is a bit of a stretch and would be confusing to too many people."

I don't understand why this couldn't be done or would be confusing as the Pocket Informant app pulls and easily shows tasks from Toodledo (pulled from Todo) as well as the calendar events.

Hi Gavin,

I do not agree that implementing CalDav (in the way the other product does) would be confusing to users.

Here's why, and it's simple:-

Implementing CalDav from the "Product that must not be named" is not entirely straightforward and requires a commitment to the process (mainly because finding the 'link' takes a few steps).

So, those that are sufficiently committed to implement this (me for example) whilst not nerdy types, could be trusted not to find the implementation, "...confusing."

Go on, it would be simple now you have got this far, take a risk ('cos it isn't a risk, but a benefit)

Has there been any progress on getting the Todo app to sync with CalDev? I cannot tell you how invaluable this would be (and how much of a necessity it really is). I just started using Todo and I'm already considering abandoning it since I will always have to use two systems if the app can't sync with my Outlook calendar for work.

What I would like to be able to do is view my Tasks in the calendar, and then drag them over to the calendar as a way to schedule my day. So if I need to call someone, I schedule it between two meetings on the calendar by dragging it over. This works beautifully on the desktop, but would love a way to do that on my iPhone.

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment