Start a new topic
Answered

Dropbox vs. iCloud sync in Todo 7

In Todo 6, iCloud sync uses the iOS Reminders and does not support projects with sub-tasks, correct?  Is this still true with Todo 7 (I just upgraded yesterday)?  For this reason, I used Dropbox with Todo 6 for more complete Todo task sync.  Are there benefits to using iCloud sync with Todo 7, if it now allows more complete data sync?  Do both iCloud and Dropbox support automatic background sync in Todo 7?

Best Answer
Todo does not and has not used Reminders to sync. Todo data will not appear in the iCloud website, nor any calendars or other apps synchronizing directly with your iCloud account. Todo is only able to use iCloud as a medium for synchronization. So Todo uses iCloud simply to transfer data from Todo on one device to Todo on another device.

Dropbox is a better more completed back up and sync service. Dropbox allows you to sync Todo between your devices, but with Dropbox you may also see and back up the data file that syncs to Dropbox. This is not something that can be done when you sync using iCloud.

Ron,

Here are instructions to sync Todo on iPhone to your iPad using iCloud.

The first thing to do is create a backup of your iPhone in iTunes.
-Connect your iPhone to iTunes
-Locate your iPhone in the left column of iTunes
-Right click on your iPhone and select back up.

THIS WILL ENSURE THAT YOU DO NOT LOSE YOUR DATA CURRENTLY IN TODO ON YOUR IPHONE.

iPhone:
-Open Todo > Settings > Syncronization > Switch services. You should no longer be connected to a sync service.

iPad:
-Open Todo > Settings > Syncronization > Switch services. You should no longer be connected to a sync service.

iPad:
-go to your DEVICE SETTINGS (not Todo Settings) and select iCloud
-Scroll down and select storage & Backup
-Select Manage Storage > Select Todo > Select Edit >Delete the file.

iPhone:
-go to your DEVICE SETTINGS (not Todo Settings) and select iCloud
-Scroll down and select storage & Backup
-Select Manage Storage > Select Todo > Select Edit >Delete the file.
-Now open Todo on your iPhone > Settings > Online Sync > iCloud > Use iCloud > MERGE

MAKE SURE YOUR DATE ON YOUR IPHONE LOOKS CORRECT.

iPad:
-Now open Todo on your iPad> Settings > Online Sync > iCloud > Use iCloud > REPLACE

Your devices should now sync.

i have purchased todo on both my iphone and my ipad and I cannot get them to sync through icloud. Please give me instructions to do so

Using iCloud sync on the new Todo 3 for Mac and iOS versions sync in the background on all devices. Usually within a couple of hours.

FYI,

I noticed a background sync for the first time. It took over 14 hours to sync..

FWIW Appigo aren't alone here. Using Calendars 5 it also fails to update tasks in the background on OS7. However 3rd party IOS mail apps do work with background refresh. Maybe the bug's with Apple?

Patiently waiting for the next Todo update...

Thanks Robert for your reply.

Too bad the background sync does not work even though Appigo says the have background sync on iOS... One of the great features of iOS 7 and a lot of apps I use. It is really annoying to get notifications of reminders on other devices if you've already done them, maybe Appigo can do something about this?

However, for the Mac, I'll have a look into that. Maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks again!

Edit:

You were right, Mac application syncs changes automatically and checks for changes made from other devices at the set interval by the user.

Still it is very sad that the iOS version doesn't automatically sends changes and doesn't sync in the background when changes are made from other devices.. Now I don't get reminded of things when I am on the move and added a task on my Mac, or I get reminders for things already done and checked of the list on my Mac.. It should work as expected and as explained & marketed by Appigo:

Hi Thijs,

Unfortunately my experience using iCloud to sync Todo is the similar to yours with Dropbox:

1. iPhone/iPad version syncs when open/closed

2. No background sync even after several hours

3. Open/close app forces sync update

However Todo on Mac does sync in background. 

-- Robert.

I've got a question related.

As sync service I use Dropbox. I have my iPhone set to refresh in the background. Todo on my Mac synchronises every 15 minutes and when I manually do so.

There are two things not working as expected:

1. When I change something on my Mac, and I synchronise it to Dropbox, it isn't pushed to my iPhone, even though I put it on background app refresh. I have to manually refresh or close/open the app.

2. When I change something on my iPhone it isn't automatically pushed to Dropbox, I have to manually refresh or close/open the app.

Is this something that will work when using iCloud?

Is there any possibility of "archiving" certain projects?  As Leon mentioned above, some projects repeat but not often.

Thanks!

Joseph

@Phil, Todo Cloud is a free app for people who have a paid Todo Cloud Premium Account ... and will only sync with the Todo Cloud service. Synchronizing through other services (like Dropbox & iCloud) is available through the standard Todo app.

I have project more than 1 year Some completed tasks will disappear ... Why completed Tasks can't stay more than 1 year in my iPhone...
Answer
Todo does not and has not used Reminders to sync. Todo data will not appear in the iCloud website, nor any calendars or other apps synchronizing directly with your iCloud account. Todo is only able to use iCloud as a medium for synchronization. So Todo uses iCloud simply to transfer data from Todo on one device to Todo on another device.

Dropbox is a better more completed back up and sync service. Dropbox allows you to sync Todo between your devices, but with Dropbox you may also see and back up the data file that syncs to Dropbox. This is not something that can be done when you sync using iCloud.

I tried both but I can see a different. I can`t see anything.

I really don´t no how it works anyway.

I`m using todo 7 on my iphone and my iPad. Both a running on iOs7.

I thought if I mark a Task for example on my iPhone as done it will be marked after a short time on my iPad automaticly and not only if I open todo on my Ipad.

At the Moment it still the same as by todo 6.

The Alarm on my iPad is running although the Task is done and the  app on the ipad was not opened to sync

Login to post a comment