Start a new topic
Answered

Todo Cloud 7 is NOT a true "GETTING THINGS DONE" app... yet.

It looks like a sports car on the outside, but it's only got a 4 banger under the hood, with no fuel injection and no turbo.  Thank God it's pretty, because changing a Tasks' Type, Context and Tags; associating it with Lists and Projects; and setting due dates is like solving the most difficult Sudoku puzzle ever devised.  Trying to understand how the Edit Task and Quick Menu pop-ups work together (or not) makes my head explode. 

Now...  Here's where it falls short on GTD... Way short.  

1. Todo Cloud does not differentiate between Projects, Tasks and Checklists.  Tasks and Checklists can be associated with a Project, but they CAN NOT be associated with a Project AND a Personalized List at the same time.  For example, you create a Project called Remodel Bathroom and a Personalized List called WAITING.  You then create a task to get a quote from a contractor and associate it with the Remodel Bathroom Project.  While you're waiting for the quote you might want to put the Task in the WAITING list.  As soon as you do, Todo Cloud will disassociate it from the Remodel Bathroom Project.  
  2. You create a Checklist that contains a few Subtasks.  You then assign a due date to the Checklist.  If you practice true GTD methodology you'll want to put the Checklist in your CALENDAR List.  Unfortunately, Todo Cloud does not allow you to put a Checklist in any Personalized List.  So, whynot dump the Checklist type and let the Normal Task type allow Subtasks? 

These two issues make Todo Cloud fail the GTD methodology.  

I've tried flipping the method.  Using Todo Cloud Projects for my GTD buckets and Personalized Lists as my "projects".  Sound confusing?  It is.  And, Todo Cloud fails GTD there as well.  

If Appigo fixes just these two issues they could then truly sell their product as a GTD app.  Until they do I think Appigo should remove the "PROVEN GTD METHODOLOGY" reference in the iTunes product description. 

Dave

Best Answer

@Dave

Dear Dave,

@1 The way I handle the WAITING list is to assign a context WAITING to the task. The task itself remains in its project. Works perfectly for me.

@2 Subtasks would be easier indeed. What I do now is not using a CALENDAR list but just assign due and, if necessary, start dates. Works fine for me.

I hope this helps you. For me GTD is awesome and Todopro a great tool for it.

Jan Paul

8 people have this question

I'm still using the todo 6 on my ios7 device,

It's really much more better then the new one.

Why?

1) Faster and smoother.

2) Optimized quick menu that suits your needs, not quick menu that shows everthing.

3) Many strikeouts.

4) Missing the quick creation of task in the main screen and replacing it by quick folder creation!!! Who need to quickly create folder?

5) Assigning due date using calender is headache, try doing that for 10 tasks each with different due date.

6) I still don't know whats the difference between todo 6 and todo cloud, except for price, of course?

Answer

@Dave

Dear Dave,

@1 The way I handle the WAITING list is to assign a context WAITING to the task. The task itself remains in its project. Works perfectly for me.

@2 Subtasks would be easier indeed. What I do now is not using a CALENDAR list but just assign due and, if necessary, start dates. Works fine for me.

I hope this helps you. For me GTD is awesome and Todopro a great tool for it.

Jan Paul

ToDo Cloud (iOS) seems to have lost some basic functionality of ToDo 6 - specifically, renaming a checklist and/or a Project. I can't delete them, either.
I can do it on the web, I can do it in v6, but I can no longer do it on my iOS7 app ("Cloud").

Net result? Delete the cloud app and revert to v6.

@Kevin

To rename a project or checklist:
- In the list where the project/checklist is in:
- Click on the colored square (with the numbers in it) right  of the project name
- You can now change the name and do all kinds of other things

Good luck,

Jan Paul
@Jan Paul - your suggestion is good, I did not know that. However it does not allow users to rename a task in Todo 7. Nor does it allow you to see the date & time for several tasks at once (it only allows you to set the date). What does surprise me is the lack of help files or references available. I have tried searching for rename, so that I might discover how to rename a project and this discussion is the only reference in the website relating to Todo. Kind of sad if you make a typing error and the app won't allow you to edit it. :(

@Jan Paul

Thanks!

@Appigo - you do see how that's not intuitive?

"Tasks and Checklists can be associated with a Project, but they CAN NOT be associated with a Project AND a Personalized List at the same time" -DAVE

This is a big pain point for me .... I want to have a complete picture of a given project while being able to focus on the most relevant tasks in the given time and context. Right now, I can't do that effectively or elegantly. If @Appigo fixed this, it would be HUGE for me and countless others I am sure.

@Bill

The way I hadle this is putting the project in the personalized list. Works for me.

@Edwin

You can change a tasks name. Touch it shortly, then the right screen appears.

@Jan Paul

I've tried that too, and it works (sort of). 

I (like most people) have a running list of about 150-200 tasks at any given time, so I use the "Focus List" and some filters to concentrate only on the next 10-12 tasks. When I put a project in my list, the whole project shows up in my focus list and I can't narrow it down to just the project tasks that are relevant to the current context.

In a perfect world, I would have the ability to see the project as a whole and assess my progress towards its completion and then ALSO have the ability to see just the most relevant tasks when I'm working.

@Dave,

Todo Lists are a top level organization of your tasks designed to divide them into categories that generally shouldn't mix.  A simple example would be home and work.  It sounds like you have set up lists to be used as status which as you have found is not going to work.  Projects and their subtasks can only be placed in a single list.  This is especially true when using or syncing with Todo Cloud as the lists are the boundary for sharing with other people.

I think you are getting caught up in the fact that what are called lists in Todo are not matching up exactly with what David Allen describes as a list.  Todo is not a GTD only app however it can follow the model.  I would suggest you use tags as your GTD buckets.  They can be associated with tasks, projects, checklists and project subtasks independent of the list and context.  As was suggested you could use contexts but contexts actually do match up with the action contexts in David Allen's method.

Let me see if I can address each of your concerns

1) Faster and smoother

In our testing and use Todo 7 performs better and smoother than the previous versions.  Where are you seeing performance issues?

2) Optimized quick menu that suits your needs, not quick menu that shows everything.

The old quick-menu only gave three options ever.  Yes you could go specify those three, but there was no way to show more.  The new quick-menu always presents the options in the same location so with some use (fits law) you'll always know where the option is you are looking for and it will become faster and faster to use.

3) Many strikeouts.

They really don't fit in the new iOS 7 anit-skeuomorphism UI

4) Missing the quick creation of task in the main screen and replacing it by quick folder creation!!! Who need to quickly create folder?

That's been fixed, there is a quick-add on the lists screen.

5) Assigning due date using calender is headache, try doing that for 10 tasks each with different due date.

You have the choice of using the calendar or the spinners.  Select the spinner option in the top right of the view and it will remember it.

6) I still don't know whats the difference between todo 6 and todo cloud, except for price, of course?

Todo Cloud is a paid online service that gives Todo users all of the abilities of Todo plus sharing and collaboration on tasks and projects.  Because Todo Cloud is a paid service, there is a free app for the service.  The Todo Cloud app is basically the same as the Todo app except that is will only function with the Todo Cloud service.  Both Todo 6 and Todo 7 give you the ability to choose the sync service you would like to use.

@Bill Sourour

Have you tried the option in settings under Focus list to turn on Subtasks?  This will allow the tasks under projects to surface to the top in your Focus list.  If both the Project and and subtasks meet the criteria you have set up for the Focus list, they will both show up.

I moved this over to Using Todo since there is a lot more discussion about how to do certain things in Todo.

Login to post a comment