Start a new topic

[All] Attach Documents

The product really needs the ability to attach documents and have them sync to all devices.  I would like to be able to forward emails with attachments and have them show up in the inbox.  This would also be very helpful when sharing tasks among team members.

75 people like this idea

I'm going to get slammed for this, lol, but I retract my original (admittedly flip) statement "attachments are a must".

I am a software developer and have tried virtually *ALL* the GTD software options out there. In fact, I currently even have fully paid subscriptions to GetItDoneApp, Nirvana, and Todoist. Both Todoist and GetItDoneApp support attachments. I thought I really needed this feature; turns out I was wrong.

I really like the posts of user Peter Watters. His post: http://support.appigo.com/support/discussions/topics/74085 really changed my views and indeed, my fundamental use of GTD. I actually went back and re-read the book! Read that post, near the bottom where he talks about attachments. He is spot on.

Frankly, attachments in a GTD app turn into a quagmire just like your office email app where everyone is forwarding attachments and the email thread becomes like a massive tangle.

Peter notes: "Any files I create as part of my tasks or projects are stored wherever they belong, e.g. on the sever at work or for personal files, on my Macbook at home. I just file them in the appropriate folder so I always know where to look, same as I would do for hard copy files following the David Allen GTD recommendations."

This fundamentally changed my views on using GTD software. Of course you want your reference material where it belongs. I certainly don't want my source code snippets anywhere near my GTD software; I want them in my code repository. Maybe I have a link to that in the GTD software but that's it.

Maybe the only thing I would like is some sort of interface or gateway *into* a reference repository. For example, maybe just a gateway to Evernote. I like the way GetItDoneApp has done this. This is actually a very easy thing to do as EverNote has a very nice API and all that would need to be done is make it look like another "list" in Todo Cloud...nothing else! Frankly, I'd vote for *no* integration over making the app any more complicated.

I love the way Todo Cloud is so simple and uncluttered. Todoist does all this stuff (and now they've added IFTTT support to enable Evernote integration. The app, however, is now now serious bloatware; you spend all your time fiddling with it and tweaking IFTTT scripts, instead of actually getting your stuff done!

Jeff gave me a second evaluation period for ToDo Cloud, and I've just now paid for Premium and looking forward to Getting Things Done...instead of fiddling with features. And that's all I'm going to say about that; I have to get back to my life; enjoy!

steve.

Decent workaround using Dropbox. Thanks!

This would set To-Do Cloud apart from all the other ToDo programs. I've been looking for this as the main feature from all the programs that help me organize.

I agree, this feature is the must

I like the idea. I few other big brand syncing services such as Box.com do this very well.  It can be complex for both the service provider and the user because it rasises some very good questions like:

When you complete a task where does the document go? 

was it a living document that was edited and how do edits get archived? 

where is it stored? (a local copy on each device like dropbox functions or a link only copy on the main server)

... long story short, I hope it happens but if it does I hope it's done well.... I've seen other Database type programs attempt to do this and it just made the syncing & running of the program horrendously sluggish.

I think I've figured out a temporary "work around". I'm placing the document(s) I want to "attach" in Dropbox then copy/pasting the link URL into the comments or notes. It's not the best but at least it allows users on a shared task to be able to retrieve and look at a document related to the task.

Yes, it's a bit clumsy but it at least lets me share the documents.

BTW, I have posted this to another related forum entry as well so please don't chastise me too much if I shouldn't have. :-)

Any idea if or when the ability to attach docs and pics will be available?

Being able to attach documents/emails would make this program 100% better for me!

Attachments are critical to stay organized.  I use Th*&%s now and it's one of my favorite parts of the program. I can add photos, emails, documents, contacts and everything is all organized in one place. I started with ToDo and switched over because of this feature. I do love your interface, but the attachment capability makes the program complete.  Please add it to ToDo.

A picture is worth a thousand words. If we could attach Pictures or other to task it would be incredibly helpful!!

Agreed. Following this thread with interest because I cannot use ToDo until this implemented, for the reasons you describe.
I also use the Dropbox option ....quite effective

We've learned by sad experience to never promise dates for features. This is something that we are looking into and considering for a future update.

Yep...agreed. Attachments are a must.

Login to post a comment