You may wish to occasionally back up your task database or restore to an older version of your tasks. We've recently exposed a small utility we use on our support team inside the latest version of the Todo and Todo Cloud iOS apps (version 8.2.2 or newer). This article will walk you through the steps to backup and restore tasks using Todo's internal task database file.
Note: This is not a common process and should only be used if you understand each step. Please read carefully.
Saving a Backup:
Saving a backup of your tasks uses a mechanism we use on our support team for gathering diagnostic information, but you can use it to send a backup of your tasks to yourself. To do so, please follow these steps:
- Open Todo/Todo Cloud on your iOS device (version 8.2.2 or newer)
- Tap the Settings button
- Tap the Information option
- Tap the Diagnostics option
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Diagnostics screen and tap the Email Diagnostic Report button
- Important: Make sure you tap the Include Tasks option on the "Include Task Data?" prompt
- Tap the Email button on the "Email Report?" prompt
- Replace the To: field to send this email to your own email address
- Tap the Send button to send yourself the report
- When you receive the email, save off all attachments that have a name that is like 1-AppigoTodo_v12.sqlitedb.zip, 2-AppigoTodo_v13.sqlitedb.zip, etc. These are your task database backups and there may be multiple if you've upgraded from previous versions of Todo/Todo Cloud.
- Unzip the AppigoTodo_vXX.sqlitedb.zip files. After unzipping the files, you'll have files with a *.sqlitedb file extension
- Launch the latest version of iTunes on your desktop
- Plug your iOS device into your computer using a USB cable
- Follow the steps published by Apple to access iTunes File Sharing: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201301
- Upload all of the AppigoTodo_vXX.sqlitedb files into the iTunes File Sharing location for the Todo/Todo Cloud app (requires Todo/Todo Cloud version 8.2.2 or newer)
- Launch the Todo/Todo Cloud app on your iOS device
- Inside the app, tap the Settings button
- Tap the Information option
- Tap the Diagnostic option
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Diagnostics screen and tap the Replace Task Data... button
- The AppigoTodo_vXX.sqlitedb files you placed into the app using iTunes File Sharing will show up on the screen
- Select the file that best represents the latest version of your tasks by tapping on the file name. If you have multiple files, look at the last modification date, file size, and the number of tasks shown right underneath the name of the file to determine which file to choose.
- Tap the Import Databse File button
- IMPORTANT: Before proceeding, please know that restoring tasks will clear out ALL tasks that currently show in your app by replacing them with the tasks in the AppigoTodo_vXX.sqlitedb file you've selected
- Confirm your selection by tapping the Replace Tasks button
- The tasks from the backup file will be restored into your app
- Exit out of the Settings and return to the main screen of your app to view the tasks that were restored